Thursday, September 25, 2008

Leftover Savory Bread




I hate throwing away leftovers. Usually I use all leftovers in frittata, omelet, to stuffed crepes.... I had some brocoli, Tuna, Tomatoes left in the fridge from the kids lunch.
After talking to Sophie my Yoga Teacher and friend, she said she will make some " savory cake" for super served with salad. I thought it will be a great idea to do the same with my leftovers....

Leftover Savory Bread... called " Cake" in France...yes we call this a "cake" used as a French word

4 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup whole milk
1 cup freshly grated Gruyère
1 cup cooked brocolis
1/2 cup Tuna ( Tuna can with olive oil)
1/2 cup of fresh tomatoes
Fresh herbs : chives, parsley, basil from my garden

Dip- 2 avocados soft
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- salt
- pepper
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt

Mix all ingredients in a blender.


Directions
Butter a loaf pan and set aside.
Combine the flour baking powder and salt and stir to blend.
Using a whisk, slowly whisk in the eggs.
Whisk in the milk, cheese, brocolis, tomatoes and tuna and oil.
Set aside for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Stir the batter to blend and pour into the prepared loaf pan.
Place in the center of the oven and bake 30 minutes or until firm and golden.
Allow to cool to room temperature.



To serve:
Slice the cake. Arrange on a serving tray and serve with a Avocado , mustard and Greek Yogurt Dip.

Verdict: The beautiful corlorful Savory cake looks so beautiful with a light green velvety dip! It was yummy my husband and myself ate averything for diner with a salad.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Celine I have never had a bread like this before.. it sounds delicious and looks so pretty!! yumm.. this would be great for the kids' lunches! Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

Eileen said...

This looks great! It's the kind of thing I like to make. Thanks!