Thursday, June 28, 2007

Creme Caramel de Maman


My mother has always been an excellent cook. She always says that when she got married she even did not know how to cook an egg! Hard to believe!
She is still using her first Cook book recipes she bought after her marriage. I love this Cookbook, pages are yellow, with some stains ( only few because my mother is very neat), between some sheets she keeps hand-written recipes from her own mother, some aunts...some other recipes are from a French magazine.
This book contains all Classic French Recipes from Pate feuilletee to Coq au vin similar to Julia Child books I guess. I love also the pictures everything look good and healthy.
When I go back home in France visiting my parents and when my mother is cooking I look at her book: I go by the picture first, if the photo looked yummy I am looking for the recipe in the book... but this is tricky sometimes the Coq au vin recipe is located 4 pages prior the picture in a dessert section, so you are turning pages after pages in order to find THE recipe! I do not know how many glasses of wine the editor drank before publishing it!!!
Her cookbook in front of her, I love watching my mother mixing some eggs, flour, milk, sugar, each gesture is perfect and the way she is using her wooden is still magical to me.
My mother's baking were always simple and delicious: fruit tarts ( apple, tart Tatin, Strawberries with chantilly), Crème renversee ( an upside-down caramel custard), oeufs a la neige ( floating islands), crepes au sucre, French Cake , crème caramel.
Now that I have a family to feed I can go on and explore my mother's desserts, I am lucky they have sweet-tooth.
For tonight dessert I made Crème Caramel de maman.

Look in your fridge and pantry for sure you have everything you need to make it right away!

1 c. Sugar
5 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
3 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Butter 8 (6 ounce) custard cups. In small skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup sugar, stirring until it is a light brown syrup. Pour syrup into buttered cups. Place cups in shallow baking pan for easy handling. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In large bowl with mixer at low speed, beat eggs, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar until lemon-colored. Gradually beat in milk and vanilla extract. Pour mixture in cups; put hot water in pan to within 1 inch of top of cups; bake 1 hour until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks; refrigerate; with knife, loosen custard from cups and invert onto dessert dishes, letting syrup run down side onto dish



1 comment:

Keaton Stein said...

Thanks great blog postt