Tuesday, July 29, 2008

No DB challenge Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream.. this is why



This month I have decided to skip the DB challenge for the first time. First it is too hot in Southern California, then this cake reminds me the Opera Cake so I do not understand the point of repeating almost the same challenge.
Summer is the perfect season for all kind od juicy, sweet, colorful fruits.
So I decided to bake a Apricot-red Plum tart-galette instead.

I started with a Pate Brisee from Lindsey ( Chez Panisse).

6 servings
-1 cup Organic flour
-6 tablespoon of real organic butter, chilled and cut into very small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
-1/4 cup cold water

You just put it together flour, salt and half of the butter. You mix everything with your hands. Then you add the extra butter then the cold water.
You make quickly a big bowl, wrap in plastic and place in your fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Then you roll it as fine as you can an place in a 9" inch cake pan.
You bake it for 15 minutes at 360F.
You cut in small pieces all your fruits ( I used 3 apricots and 3 plums).
When your dough is pale gold, add your fruits. I sprinkle on the top 3 teaspoons of sugar, a pinch of cardamon, a pinch of cinamon, and some butter on the top.
Bake until the dough looks crisp and the fruits are soft.

You can serve it with Vanilla Ice cream or chantilly. We had it plain...
It was Summer in my mouth, just what I wanted and needed on this beautiful, sunny, but very busy Sunday lunch!

4 comments:

Lore said...

I'm more of a tart person than a cake one so I'm definitely in the right place at the right time ;). Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Quelle jolie tarte apricot-red plum!
She looks so delicious!
Bravo! :)

Laurie said...

That looks fabulous Celine! I keep looking at galette recipes but haven't made one yet! :) I love ala-mode desserts so the ice cream on top would be awesome!

Flo Bretzel said...

VoilĂ  effectivement une tarte aux fruits parfaitement de saison!