Monday, July 9, 2007

July 14th Bastille Day!



It has been a while since we have celebrated correctly Bastille Day ( French Bank Holliday) on the July 14th!
So when I heard that Muriel and her family was coming to San Diego to give Cooking classes to her best American clients during 3 evenings, I knew I would have to meet her.
But my schedule could not match hers while staying in SD. Then, she mentionned that she will visit the Temecula Wine Country on July 14th.I decided to have a party with her family and our closest French/ American friends.

Because it is very hot and warm right now in So-Cal we will have a BBQ, salad, pizza potluck. It will be an Homemade Potluck. This is what I request fresh not processed food. Actually it will be a potluck with a French Twist since half of the people are French.
Muriel proposed to bring some artichokes… I guess she will do something delicious and very French.
When I was in the Travel Industry organizing customized trip to France for Americans who wanted to discover the real France. I was able to propose to my clients some cooking classes with Marguerite. It is Muriel's Chef name!
Actually you can visit her website http://www.elegantcooking.com/. While working with different providers in France, Muriel was always the one I loved to work with. Always available for me at any time, very well organized, precise and professional. In a few years, she had been one of the Top 10 Cooking classes instructor in Paris her classes are sold out most of the time.
She is amongst few instructors who also conduct a Farmers Market's visit before the cooking class and I think this is wonderful. This is one essential step in the French Cooking. You need to meet, discuss and chat with your butcher, your vegetable/ fruits supplier and cheese maker, this is the best way to get the perfectly ripped tomatoes, soft cheese and some time best deals too!

On July 14th, we will welcome Muriel and her family around 7 pm in our garden. Joel will make his delicious Sangria... wonderful during Summer time.
Since we have delicious Zuchinis in the organic vegetable garden, I will make chilled soup. Soup and summer do go together when you serve this chilled vegetable soup, made creamy with the addition of Vache qui rit cheese / the laughing cow wedge cheese a French favorite since 1921 http://www.thelaughingcow.com/lc/lc.nsf/ProductsL2-Wedges?openpage


Chilled Zucchini Soup
3 1/2 cups chicken broth 8 cups peeled sliced zucchini 1 onion, chopped 1 clove garlic, crushed 1 teaspoon crushed dried basil 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper5 Vache qui rit wedges
1. Combine chicken broth, zucchini, onion, garlic, basil, salt and hot pepper sauce in a large stockpot and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender add Cheese. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Pour soup into a blender or food processor process until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 8 servings.

Our dearest and best friends: Fabrice, Jocelyne and their daughters will join us. Caroline and Mark will be there with their 2 sons and I guess 2 or 3 couples and few single persons will join us too!
It will be a party for about 20 people. Since this is a potluck I need to review who will bring what…..this is my next task... I will let you know what is a French Potluck.
We do not have Potluck in France. The hosts provide averything guests do not bring anything sometimes, flowers, wine and dessert.... In my opinion Potluck is really a great American idea...because you can taste other favorite casseroles, salads.... people like to show off their culinary talents!

No comments: